Thursday, August 5, 2010

5 Hour Energy Decaf (Citrus) Review



Cost: $2.99
Cost Per Ounce:$1.50
Active Ingredients:Caffeine (only 6mg's), B-Vitamins,
Taste Rating:8.8
Kick Rating:8.0
Final Judgment Rating:8.4
Energy Drink Ratings Explained

5 Hour Energy Drink - Decaf:
Well I have reviewed several of the 5 Hour Energy Drinks to date including, the original - both lemon and lime, as well as Extra Strength 5-Hour Energy. To date, this product lineup is one of my all time favorites out of any of the 300 + Energy Drinks that I have reviewed so far as the kick, portability and expectations of zero crash have been lifesavers on so many occasions. I was a little weary at first about the new 5-Hour Decaf, but then I remembered that caffeine is really not the only energy boosting ingredient in this Energy Shot. Besides, this is a review site, and there are countless people that have asked me for ways to get energy without a caffeine overload. So let's see if the 5-Hour Decaf can accomplish this!

5 Hour Energy Drink - Decaf: Taste
This little 2 ounce shot has zero carbs and only 4 calories and still manages to give a pretty good taste that is somewhat similar to the lemon lime version albeit with a more concentrated citrus taste. Oh yeah, did I mention there is is no medicinal taste whatsoever. The original tasted good, but removing the caffeine and some of the b-vitamins definitely helped improve the taste of the Decaf version. I bought it, gave it a little shake and then drank it at room temperature. The 2 ounces goes down quick and there was no complaints from this reviewer in the taste category. Taste Rating - 8.8

5 Hour Energy Drink - Decaf: Kick
The taste is slightly improved as some of the energy ingredients were removed, but how will this affect the kick? Well as I stated above, there is only 6 milligrams of caffeine in this shot (hence the Decaf label). The new Decaf blend also has a gentler blend of b-vitamins (niacin/b-3 removed) and amino acids when compared to the original. However, the addition of Choline, an essential nutrient to help improve information processing (brain food) is a nice touch. The other energy ingredients include: Glucuronolactone, N-Acetyl, L-Tyrosine, L-Phenylalanine, Taurine, and Malic Acid. It doesn't stop there. There is also a nice enzyme blend that consists of Protease, Lipase, Celluase, and Lactase. The kick was not as strong as the original or extra strength 5-Hour Energy, but you could definitely feel a nice little kick in the pants that I was more than pleased with. After all, not everyone in the world is looking for a huge rush of energy, some are just looking for a nice little pick me up which 5-Hour Decaf provides. I am more a fan of the original and extra strength versions, but if you are looking for a sustained boost of energy, are sensitive to caffeine, or avoid it for personal or medical reasons, than look no further. Kick Rating 8.0

5 Hour Energy Drink - Decaf: Final Judgment
I love it, the product line keeps getting more diverse! 5-Hour seems to have a little something for everyone now. Those looking for a little pick me up (Decaf), those looking for a big pick me up (original) and those energy junkies like me looking for the huge pick me up (extra strength)! When I need to cut back on my caffeine intake (yeah even I do that once in awhile) I think I will make this my new choice for staying alert. Final Judgment - 8.4

No comments:

Post a Comment